Search This Blog

Loading...

24 March 2010

Coca Cola This Is Life!

It has been quite some time since my last post. We had a death in the family. It was not sudden or unexpected, and yet it was such a loss.



I met this man some 13 years ago, and he was a vibrant man, with a thirst for life. He welcomed me into his family and always made me feel welcome. This is the way he was with everyone.



Listening to people speak about him at the Memorial Service, I realized that he was a man who lived the golden rule. He may have owned a big company, and made a comfortable life for himself and his children, but he knew his employees (in 3 plants) and their families. He asked about their families and genuinely cared.



He was 84 years old. He would have been 85 this Father’s Day. Up until recently he was healthy and active, getting down on the carpet to wrestle with his great grand kids. He was never an old man. He loved his family, and respected his friends.




Christmas Eve is a big celebration in my husband’s family. The family gets together and shares a meal, and more importantly builds memories. Santa and Mrs. Claus take a break from their route to stop by and sing a couple of songs and pass out some presents.



This past Christmas Eve, Grampy was unable to make it up from Florida for the celebration. We still got together, but there was a somber tone to the whole event. Santa brought us the best news of all. He gave us the good news that Grampy had been released from the hospital on Christmas Eve to go home.



Things seemed good, then in January he was back in the hospital with pneumonia, and it was in and out since then. His children went to Florida to visit with him and be with their mom. In early March he was flown from Florida to WNY to be with his family. He stopped taking food, as he knew and his family knew it was time.



He did not suffer, nor did his family watch as he wasted away slowly. At the burial, the hardest thing to watch was my husband carry the casket from the hearse to the platform. The moment the casket was set down, he began to cry as did many members of the family.



It was a lovely ceremony, and the memorial service afterwards was without much crying. Grampy would not have wanted all of us to be sad, but to remind ourselves of all the happy times. Listening to people speak about this man and his kind heart and adventurous spirit made me realize, that life is all to short to spend planning for life.




Often in my life I have said, I will make this sacrifice so that in x days, weeks, months or years I can begin to live my life. There is no reason to wait to live my life.




Life is not a plan, but a journey. Life is what happens while we our planning our route. So I will remember to live my life, even though I am working to get out of debt, I have to be there for my family and a part of my life. Because if I don’t live it who will.



So I raise my Coke to Grampy and say SKOL

5 comments:

  1. I am truely sorry for your loss. It's never easy to let loved ones go.
    You and your family will be in my thoughts

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss. Have you ever read The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle? It's an inspiring book about living your life now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear of your loss. This is a great tribute and so are the other posts about your love for this man. We should all be so lucky to know a man so fine. Hearing that you are moving forward without guilt is a beautiful legacy, how proud he would be. Peace

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome reminder, yes we get so busy with our nose to the grindstone we forget to look up at life that is flying by...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a loss, I'm so sorry! Wonderful words to live by.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I will read and respond shortly.

My Green is Frugal To Do List

  • Sunday Cooking Days
  • Saturday Park Days
  • Bake My Own Bread
  • Set Up Sewing Space
  • Upcycle Craft Space
  • Space for Scrapbooks
  • Rear Yard
  • Lasagna Beds
  • Clear the Clutter
  • Spend More Time w Family/Friends w/o Money
  • Eliminate Debts
  • Recycling Station on the Front Porch
  • Waste Less
  • Unplug and Turn Off Entertainment Center Every Night
  • Cloth Wipies
  • Use Hankies instead of Tissues
  • Move to Cloth instead of Paper Towels - DONE! Thanks to GreenerYet!

2012 (2011) (2010) Christmas To Do List

  • Ornaments from the girls to lots of peoples :)
  • Dad: Seeds for the garden
  • Mums: Seeds for the garden
  • SMIL: Headrest Couch Covers
  • Joe: Jets Fleece Tie Blanket
  • Billy: Homemade Goodies (pinksters); fleece tie blanket
  • FIL: Basket of Homemade Goodies
  • SFIL: ?
  • MIL: Scrapbook from Trip Out West
  • DH: Green and Black Scarf
  • A: Art Caddy; Quilt (Celestial);
  • S: Pressed Flowers Book; Button Tree Quilt;

My Wish List

  • Small Square Glass Containers
  • Glass Casserole Pans
  • Solar Oven
  • Cast Iron Pans
  • Wide Mouth Canning Jars in 1/2 pint and pint sizes
  • Pressure Canner
  • Water Bath Canner