Search This Blog

Loading...

09 November 2011

Still Working Out The Kinks

I haven't done much on my projects to be completed list, nor in the bathroom (although I did purchase light bulbs to replace the ones that were burnt out).  I also haven't done much in the way of de-cluttering and simplifying my possessions.  Not because it is too overwhelming, but simply because I have been busy.  GreenGirl turned 10 on Monday and we had her party over the weekend. 

It was the best party ever. We had it at the Dojo because that was her request. I have done the majority of the girls parties at my home, because it is more cost effective, but it drives me just a bit nuts in the preparation.  I ordered Custom Book Marks from an Etsy vendor and they were terrific. Found Bead Sprite Ninja's (also on Etsy) and my friend Kira of KiraArts made Ninja Nubbins.  I managed to support local and American businesses, but it cost me well more than 5x what it would have cost to buy cheap plastic trinkets. It was however worth it. 

My current dilemma is finding American Made Organic Cotton Sheets. I found 1 company that has American Made Organic Cotton Sheets (many that have just American Made Cotton Sheets). A single sheet is $140.  I understand why the cost is so high and I will pay it when I can afford it, but in the mean time I have resolved that when I buy something new, it must be American Made and if possible with Environmentally friendly practices.  Otherwise I will resort to second hand purchases. 

I would like to continue working on the bathroom, and to help I received a $5 gift card from my local hardware store which I am going to use to purchase plumber's caulk.  I do however need to put an eye toward holiday time.

Currently, my thoughts are that I would like to work on that scrapbook I have been wanting to make for my MIL from the trip she took with the girls a couple of summers ago. Rather than trying to complete the whole trip I am going to focus on the first State and go from there. If nothing else this is the gift that I can keep adding to until it is complete. 

I had a similar thought for my mother. She has many photographs that are in flip albums and I thought I would start by organizing them and then putting them on pages. Then she and I can sit down and journal for the pages together. The books don't have to be complete as it can always be a gift in progress. 

The girls are always a bit tougher.  They are getting to the ages where they want specific items.  For GreenGirl I was thinking I would put together a recycled jewelry kit.  She loves taking old and broken things and giving them new life, so I thought I would collect old jewelry (from thrift stores and by putting up a sign and basket at the co-op) and then put them together in a jewelry making kit for her. 

GreenTeen is so much harder to shop for these days. She loves Art supplies and I will look for more art supplies. What I would love to find is a good condition old wooden easel box for her. 

I have more people on my list and I am not sure what I am going to do for them, but I do know it will come from my current projects list. I have some ornament ideas on there and I might pick one and use that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I will read and respond shortly.

My Green is Frugal To Do List

  • Sunday Cooking Days
  • Saturday Park Days
  • Bake My Own Bread
  • Set Up Sewing Space
  • Upcycle Craft Space
  • Space for Scrapbooks
  • Rear Yard
  • Lasagna Beds
  • Clear the Clutter
  • Spend More Time w Family/Friends w/o Money
  • Eliminate Debts
  • Recycling Station on the Front Porch
  • Waste Less
  • Unplug and Turn Off Entertainment Center Every Night
  • Cloth Wipies
  • Use Hankies instead of Tissues
  • Move to Cloth instead of Paper Towels - DONE! Thanks to GreenerYet!

2012 (2011) (2010) Christmas To Do List

  • Ornaments from the girls to lots of peoples :)
  • Dad: Seeds for the garden
  • Mums: Seeds for the garden
  • SMIL: Headrest Couch Covers
  • Joe: Jets Fleece Tie Blanket
  • Billy: Homemade Goodies (pinksters); fleece tie blanket
  • FIL: Basket of Homemade Goodies
  • SFIL: ?
  • MIL: Scrapbook from Trip Out West
  • DH: Green and Black Scarf
  • A: Art Caddy; Quilt (Celestial);
  • S: Pressed Flowers Book; Button Tree Quilt;

My Wish List

  • Small Square Glass Containers
  • Glass Casserole Pans
  • Solar Oven
  • Cast Iron Pans
  • Wide Mouth Canning Jars in 1/2 pint and pint sizes
  • Pressure Canner
  • Water Bath Canner